1) Don Juan has been a Mexican staple in Massapequa Park for over 25 years. It has stood the test of time because the food is good and the atmosphere authentic and upscale. Don Juan’s always attracts a crowd, including notables such as Rudy Giuliani and players from the Giants, Mets, Yankees, and Jets. Located at 4899 Merrick Road, Don Juan has been voted best Margarita and Sangria on Long Island and is open every night of the week. (516) 798-1172
2) Three Amigos Mexican Grill III, at 5155 Merrick Road in Massapequa Park, is known for its diverse menu and low prices. They offer Old World Mexican food for eating in and delivery. Non-Mexican meals are also available here. Open daily 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. (516) 799-8226
3) Taco Joe’s is known for its fast Mexican fare in a super casual atmosphere. Portions are big, whether you eat in or take out. The Meteor Crator (big taco salad) is a popular favorite along with their other staples - tacos, burritos, quesadillas, fajitas, wraps, pita sandwiches, soups and salads. Located at 4267 Merrick Road in Massapequa, Taco Joe’s is open every day from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. (516) 308-3311
4) For those willing to travel a few towns away, these next two picks pack a punch. Pancho Villa’s, at 311 New York Avenue in Huntington Village has been home of the sizzling fiesta for decades. The atmosphere is authentic, the food always fine, the prices reasonable and, on Monday nights, enjoy the All-You-Can-Eat for $9.95 special. Worth the trip. (631) 549-0022
5) Don Ricardo’s at 94 East Main Street in Babylon Village is a romantic Mexican restaurant lover’s dream. Authentic, authentic, authentic. AND romantic! As their website states, “Tonight, just for the fun of it, spend a couple of hours in Mexico.” The food is fine, the sangria sweet. 631-587-0122.