Two provocative films showing soon in this area should keep you entertained and make you think. Here's our Long Island Culture top picks:
"Cloudburst: at Huntington's Cinema Arts Centre
- The Huntington's Cinema Arts Centre, 423 Park Ave., presents Oscar-winning actresses Olympia Dukakis and Brenda Fricker in “Cloudburst” on Thursday Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. Thom Fitzgerald’s romantic road movie is about an aging lesbian couple who escape from a nursing home in a quest to be legally married. The screening will be followed by a reception for this 2012 L.I. Gay & Lesbian Film Festival’s Audience Award-winning film in the monthly Out At The Movies.
- Info: 631-423-7610 www.CinemaArtsCentre.org
- Price: Members:$10 / Public: $15 (includes reception) Tickets can be purchased online, www.CinemaArtsCentre.org at the box office during theater hours or by calling Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800-838-3006
"Koch" at the Great Neck Arts Center
- The Gold Coast International Film Festival’s year-round Furman Film Series presents sneak previews of upcoming independent, art and foreign films. On Thursday, Jan. 24, the ferocious, charismatic, and blunt former New York Mayor Edward Koch is the subject examined by filmmaker Neil Barsky.
- Info: Each screening is accompanied by a Q&A with someone involved in the film or a film critic, academic, or member of the film community. All films take place at Clearview Squire Cinemas (115 Middle Neck Road, Great Neck).
- Price: Tickets $15/$10 students in advance; $20 at the door.
"Sizzling Jazz" at Sands Point
- Friends of Sands Point present Tina Fabrique, Michael McElroy, Chelsea Packard, Wells Hanley and Steven Lutvak in an evening of jazz in a cabaret-style table setting at Castlegould’s magnificent Great Hall on Saturday, Jan. 26.
- Info: Purchase Supper Club tickets for signature cocktails, dinner and dessert at 7 p.m. or come at 8 for cocktails, concert and dessert; catered by Philip Stone. Phone: (516) 571-7901 (9-5) Email: email@example.com. Website: Sands Point Preserve:
- Price: Tickets: $100 per person for 7 p.m.cocktails, dinner, dessert and concert at 8. Concert and cocktails only: $75 per person. RSVP by Jan. 20.
Innovative Tribute to John Denver
- The NYCB Theatre has announced an innovative live concert honoring John Denver's memory and music. The Feb. 1 show features vintage video of the singer/songwriter, backed by a live performance of former members of his band and an accompanying string section.
- Info: For more information visit www.thetheatreatwestbury.com. Tickets available online at www.livenation.com, charge by phone at 800-745-3000 and at the Westbury box office.
- Price: Tickets are $29.50 and $39.50.
About this column: "Long Island Culture" is a new Patch Friday feature highlighting upcoming cultural and arts events around our region. Add yours in the comment section below and to our events calendar. You can also pitch your best offerings to Local Editor Joe Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org.