Let's see, which would you rather do today, Pay your taxes or listen to stories? Something tells us we know how you'll answer that. But if you're at a certain very young age you'll be able to do one of these things Thursday. And if you're at a certain not so young age you'll be able to do the other. Either way, we'll be taking a look at this today.
Each day, we spotlight events and happenings in and around the area that we think you ought to know about. We want your help too. If there's an event announcement you'd like us to highlight, please contact us.
Here's what you need to know today:
- Tax Aid: It's the least wonderful time of the year. Tax season is upon us, but if you're a senior, the is going to try to make life easier. A representative from AARP will be on hand from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to provide tax assistance.
- Story Time: We suspect it'll be a much lighter atmosphere at the Central Avenue Library later on in the day. There will be a story time for children ages 3 and up, who can sit on their own. It gets underway at 1:30 p.m.
- Kitchen Time: is offering a kid's cooking class from 4 to 6 p.m. focussing on Valentine's Day treats. Your young ones can learn how to make heart shaped pizzas, chocolate bars and a Valentine dessert. It costs $40 call ahead to register.
- Zoning Board of Appeals: There are several Massapequa properties on Thursday's agenda. The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. at town Hall in Oyster Bay.
- Police Officer Funeral: Officer Michael Califano will be laid to rest Thursday following a noon funeral mass at Maria Regina Roman Catholic Church in Seaford. A wake for Califano was held at the at 4980 Merrick Road and authorities are advising that there is likely to be heavy traffic near the funeral home, which is near Massapequa High School and the Birch Lane School, Thursday morning from 9 a.m. until noon. Police announced the creation of a memorial fund in honor of Califano