Tuesday will be a solemn day in the Massapequa area. A Nassau County police officer who died in the line of duty will be waked this afternoon and evening. We also have more weather news and other important events going on in the area.
Each day, we spotlight events and happenings in and around the area that we think you ought to know about. We want your help too. If there's an event announcement you'd like us to highlight, please contact us.
Here's what you need to know today:
- Officer Michael Califano: A wake will be held for Califano, 44, who was on the Westbound Long Island Expressway Friday while conducting a traffic stop. Viewings for the officer, who lived in Wantagh will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at located at 4980 Merrick Road in Massapequa Park. Califano is survived by his wife, Jacqueline, and sons Michael, Christopher and Andrew.
- Traffic Advisory: Because the funeral home is across the street from the main campus of , officials from the school district have issued a traffic advisory about congestion in the area. It's believed traffic will be heavy from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. from Tuesday and Wednesday as well as Thursday morning from 9 a.m. to noon. It's expected congestion will be particularly high during dismissal at the highs school on Tuesday and Wednesday at 2:25 p.m. and at the nearby at 3:30 p.m. You should avoid the area at those times if you don't have to be there.
- PTSA Meeting: The Massapequa Jr/Sr. High School PTSA will meet at Massapequa High School at 7:30 p.m. There will be a program about adding a career-oriented educational program to students' high school experience.
- Weather: Don't panic, it's not a snow storm. But there is some rain and wet snow in the forecast. But of more concern are a cold front and high winds that will move into the area from noon to midnight, Tuesday. We could see gusts of up to 45 mph and wind chill as low as 10 below zero, according to the national weather service.
- Basketball: The boy's varsity hoops team will play their final home game of the season Tuesday night at 7 p.m. It will be preceded by the JV at 5 p.m.