It's Wednesday and we're halfway through the week. We're still remembering the tragic loss of officer Michael Califano and there's a number of events and programs going on in the area. We'll be taking a look at them as well as a performance by a band with a great name.
Each day, we spotlight events and happenings in and around the area that we think you ought to know about. We want your help too. If there's an event announcement you'd like us to highlight, please contact us.
Here's what you need to know today:
- Live Music at Big Daddy's: We're not sure which we like better, the jambalaya or the name of the band performing at the popular Park Lane tonight. You can decide for yourself by going to see Jan Flow and the Vanishing Cowboys. Showtime is 7 p.m.
- Prom Meeting: If you got to Massapequa High School, and you're planning to attend the prom and your last name begins with the letters "L" through "Z," you've got something to do tonight. There is a mandatory senior prom meeting held Wednesday night at 7 p.m. It will be held at Berner Middle School.
- Valentine's Day Book Program: The is presenting "Valentines's Day Stepping along with Books." THe program for ages 3 to 5 requires pre-registration and takes place in the children's room at 1:30 p.m.
- Boys Hoops: The Massapequa Chiefs try to bounce back from a difficult loss on Monday when they host Oceanside at 7 p.m. The JV plays at 5 p.m.
- Officer's wake: The wake for officer Michael Califano continues on Wednesday. Once again, school officials want you to know that the is located across the street from Massapequa High School and near Birch Lane elementary school. Expect traffic to be heavy from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. from on Wednesday as well as Thursday morning from 9 a.m. to noon. It's expected congestion will be particularly high during dismissal at the high school at 2:25 p.m. and Birch Lane at 3:30 p.m.