We're halfway home Massapequa. It's Wednesday and we've reached the midway point in the week. It's also Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Christian holy season of Lent, which leads up to Easter Sunday.
It's one of the things we'll be looking at in this edition of Five Things You Need to Know Today.
Each day, we spotlight events and happenings in and around the area that we think you ought to know about. We want your help too. If there's an event announcement you'd like us to highlight, please contact us.
Here's what you need to know today:
- Ash Wednesday: It is traditional to place ashes on the foreheads of those who attend church services on Ash Wednesday. The ashes are a symbol of penance. Ashes will be distributed Wednesday at during the 8 a.m., 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. masses, as well as at prayer services at noon, 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Tai Chi: Get some exercise and learn a martial art at the Wednesday. They will be conducting a Tai Chi class in the auditorium beginning at 10:30 a.m. It's sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation.
- Living Trust Seminar: The law offices of Saul Kobrick, P.C. is giving a one hour seminar tho answer questions about living trusts and finding out it they are right for you and your family. It will be held at at 2:30 p.m.
- Computer Basic Training: Bar Harbour Library will play host to the second of four computer basics class. It gets underway at 2 p.m. and pre-registration is required.
- Volleyball: The 7th Grade team will host Bellmore's Grand Avenue Middle School beginning at 4:15 p.m.